The Truth About Silver
What is Sterling Silver?
Sterling Silver is composed of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper. It is widely used in casual and high jewelry designs due to its durability and versatility in carrying intricate patterns and colorful stones. Sterling silver is hypoallergenic, hardwearing, and lightweight for everyday use. It is also more affordable than gold, making it a popular medium for other applications such as high-value ornaments, utensils and dinnerware, special currency, and even electronics.
Spotting Fake Silver
Sterling Silver is one of the most stylish metals for jewelry. Because of its popularity, it's often subject to counterfeiting. Real sterling silver would have a stamp of "925" to mark the purity rating. Other than the stamp, spotting fake sterling silver is different from other precious metals such as gold. While real 22k gold doesn't tarnish, real sterling silver does especially with daily use. This is because of the interaction between the silver alloy and sulfur in the air, causing the thin layer of black silver oxide. With proper care and storage, sterling silver jewelry will not tarnish even after months and years of use. The best way to find out of your jewelry is real is to take it for an assessment with a trusted jeweler.
Shopping for Silver
Owning a piece of silver jewelry is a sign of prosperity and refinement. There are many available options for those looking to build or grow their silver collection. Here are some tips for buying silver:
- Look for hallmarks and purity markings. Sterling silver is marked with "925" to refer that the piece contains 92.5% pure silver. Lower value silver pieces are also available at 90% and 80% silver alloys.
- If you want to invest in silver pieces, choose fine silver 0r 99.9% silver items that are meant to be displayed or safely stored away such as statues, bars, coins. Pure silver, like pure gold, is not ideal for jewelry because it is too soft and vulnerable to damage from daily wear.
- Buy from reputable sellers of fine and sterling silver like Gold Palace. Do not purchase from individuals or unregistered businesses to avoid fakes. Gold Palace sources all its products from our global network of suppliers in top silver producing regions to provide customers and collectors with the best quality silver for investments.
How to Take Care of Silver Jewelry
Like any precious metal, silver is most beautiful when taken care of correctly. Its durability and timeless color makes it a high-value commodity. Prolong the lifespan and beauty of your silver jewelry with these tips:
- Store your jewelry in a cool, dark, dry place—away from direct sunlight, humidity, and toxic fumes. Keep each piece separate in individual pouches especially when traveling. This will help prevent scratches and damage to your jewelry.
- Wear your jewelry often. The natural oils from your skin will actually help keep your piece shiny and tarnish-free. Just make sure to wipe it with a clean cloth before storage.
- Avoid exposure to harsh chemicals such as chlorine, bleach, perfume, isopropyl alcohol, and cosmetic products. These will wear down and tarnish your jewelry. Put on perfume, lotions, and hair products BEFORE wearing your silver jewelry.
- Clean and polish your jewelry often especially if you wear it every day. Use a mild soap mixed with water and soak your pieces for a few minutes or even overnight. This will soften accumulated dirt and debris trapped within your jewelry. Use a clean soft bristle toothbrush to remove dirt. Wipe your pieces dry before placing them back in their storage box or pouch.
Authenticating Silver Jewelry At Home
If you own old silver jewelry and want to test if it's real or not, there are many ways to do it at the comfort of your home.
- Check to see if there are markings to signify the purity of the silver. Common markings include 925, 900, and 800. You can also use a magnet to test your silverwares. Like most precious metals, real silver is nonmagnetic.
- The odor test is also a useful way to identify real silver from fakes. Real silver is odorless so if there is a metallic or sulfur-like smell, even if it's faint, chances are the item is not real silver or at the very least silver-plated with a metal/steel core.
- Real silver is prone to oxidation and tarnish. Polishing your silver pieces with a white cloth is another great way to authenticate it. If the item doesn't leave a black residue on the cloth, it may be fake.
- Use ice to check if the silver item works as a superconductor like real silver. Even at room temperature, real silver absorbs the heat from its surroundings and will melt the ice faster. Use your body heat and hold the silver item against a block of ice. If it's melting rapidly from the contact point, it's probably real.
- Lastly, check with your local and trusted jeweler. Some home tests may be damaging to your jewelry so the safest way to check for authenticity is through a professional.
If you're looking for high-quality and genuine silver jewelry, Gold Palace offers a vast selection of women's, children's, and men's silver jewelry. Check out our shop here.
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY silver at GOLD PALACE
- Timeless, Sophisticated Designs - Gold Palace curates the world's most unique, finest jewelries. We partner with small-scale, family-run artisanal smiths to create rare and inimitable designs for eye-catching aesthetics.
- High-Value Investment - Gold Palace has a wide array of premium sterling silver and 99.9% fine silver ornaments and ceremonial artifacts. Our pieces work well as gifts or home displays and will not diminish in value over time.
- Up-to-Date Information and Transparency - Gold Palace reserves the right to change and update its products and pricing any time but rest assured that you will be charged the amount displayed on the website at the day of purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do you offer bullion coins?
Gold Palace does not offer standard bullion coins. We specialize in intricate sterling silver jewelries; and 99.9% fine silver ceremonial coins, homewares, and murti.
2. Are your silver pieces affordable?
Silver items are generally more affordable than gold but since silver is a precious metal, it is not cheap nor do we offer poor quality silver. We procure our silver from the world's finest silversmiths to provide you with unique, timeless designs meant to stay beautiful and valuable for a lifetime.
3. Is silver safe for children?
Silver is generally hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and safe to use as daily jewelry even for children. As a precaution, we advise adults to always supervise children when they put on or take off their jewelry to help prevent accidents and injuries. Keep small pieces such as earrings, studs, and pins away from small children as they are a choking hazard.
4. What are the available payment methods?
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Amazon Pay, and PayPal. We also offer an easy, four-part installment plan for all online orders. Our website is secured using industry-standard encryption technologies to protect customer data and information.