How to Choose Your Indian Bridal Jewelry
Indian weddings have to be one of the most elegant and lavish affairs in the world. It's only in an Indian wedding where you get to see the whole community celebrate along with the family of the bride and groom. Since jewelry is a status symbol and a sign of prosperity and good life for the newlyweds, the couple's Indian wedding jewelry should follow traditions as well as make an impression on the guests.
The Indian wedding ceremony is a culturally significant event for the Hindus. It's full of meaning and there are several beliefs connected to this event. Both bride and groom are entering a new phase in their lives and seek the approval and blessing of the gods to make their union fruitful.
While both the bride and groom don precious jewelry, the bride’s ensemble needs special treatment. Different fine jewelry makes her the center of attention and at the same time prepares her for wedded bliss. It is also believed that jewelry will bless their union with good fortune and happiness among other things. As an Indian bride is the epitome of grand preparation and extravagant beauty, their ritual is meticulous and their ensemble is the thing of envy. That is why it's only right to have the best Indian jewelry that makes the occasion beyond special. Indian jewelry will not only help make the bride more beautiful, but it will also help make their marriage an auspicious one.
However, you can't wear just any type of jewelry and consider it a good omen. There are rules to follow especially for the bride's wedding ensemble. One of these is the Solah Shringar or the 16 Adornments. The Solah Shringar is a ceremony that is performed at every Indian wedding. It is meant to draw out the natural beauty of the bride even more with the help of vestments and traditional Indian jewelry. It is a beautiful wedding ritual of an already beautiful culture.
Jewelry is an integral part of the Solah Shringar. There are numerous pieces needed to complete the perfect "Indian bride look". Let's take a look at the must-have pieces that make the Indian bride the center of attention:
- Maang Tikka
The maang tikka is one of the most easy-to-notice pieces of traditional Indian jewelry that a bride can wear. It's an ornate headpiece worn at the parting of the hair, with a pendant that dangles on the forehead. It highlights the face of the beautiful Indian bride and signifies her status as a married woman. Maang tikkas can be made with precious metals like gold and silver and embedded with precious and semi-precious stones.
- Matha Patti
The matha patti is another kind of headwear that can be used in conjunction with the maang tikka. It is a chain that covers the bride's forehead that further accentuates the face of the bride. Designs can range from a simple chain with a few embellishments to grand ornate pieces that involve dangling stones and intricate gold patterns.
- Chandbalis or Jhumkas
Earrings play an important role in a bride's attire. It draws attention to her face and completes her look with a regal flair. Bell-shaped earrings or jhumkas can make a big impression with their bold and exciting design. Chandbalis on the other hand complements the beautiful bride's face with tehir typical crescent moon design encrusted with stones.
- Nath nose ring
An Indian bride's put-together trousseau won't be complete with the nath or nose ring. This little piece of jewelry completes the Indian bride look with its symbolism and charming looks. Wearing this nose pin is a way of honoring Devi Parvati, the Hindu goddess of marriage. It's also a sign that a woman is married. Naths can be as simple as studs encrusted with a single jewel or can be as elaborate as a ring that has a chain that drapes along the bride's cheek. Interesting fact: the bride wears the nath on the left nostril instead of the right.
Necklaces are another big jewelry piece that every bride should splurge on. There are different types worn on different parts of the neck. One option you should take a look at is the Indian choker necklace that highlights the smooth and slender silhouette of your neck. Choker necklaces can also be used with other necklaces like the mangalsutra and grand necklaces that spread across the collar. Necklaces can benefit from layering and can elevate a bride's look with just the right combination.
Armlets or arm rings like the bajuband is another symbolic piece of indian jewelry. They have been used famously by dancers and were adapted for use by ordinary people. The practice of using armlets then became a tradition in Indian weddings. It is said that bajubands signify royalty and a sense of virtue.
Another piece of traditional Indian jewelry, the kamarbandh has a great visual impact as it accentuates the natural curves of the female body. The kamarbandh or waistbelt highlights the midsection and is connected with sensuality and voluptuousness. Simple designs like gold chainrings to grander, more ornate ones like heavily studded belts are common things to see when it comes to kamarbandhs.
Tips for the Indian Bride
- Plan your attire carefully. This includes the bridal jewelry set you're going to wear. Your jewelry is every bit as important as your saree or other essentials in your Solah Shringar. Pay attention to what you're going to wear on your special day. Pictures from the event will remind you of it for the rest of your life.
- Make sure your jewelry works well with your dress. There's nothing more frustrating than wearing your whole ensemble and finding out that you don't get the perfect Indian bride look you were going for.
- Choose jewelry that compliments your wedding dress. Matching your jewelry and stones with your dress is an idea that is not unheard of. However, combining different colors of gemstones may actually work as long as you keep things simple with the kind of jewelry design you choose. Sometimes, mixing and matching can prove to be difficult and later disastrous.
- Choose the right metal for your bridal wear. Traditionally speaking, gold is king when it comes to Indian jewelry, but it wouldn’t be totally unacceptable to use other precious metals. Metals like silver and platinum can actually work with the right design and coordination with the rest of your bridal attire.
- Choose designs that reflect your personality. Often, you'll see jewelry that looks good on other people but unless you try them on, you'll never know for sure. Use jewelry that YOU like so you feel comfortable with it, especially at your wedding.
- Buy Indian jewelry designs that will stay classy and timeless 10 or 20 years from now. Jewelry is an investment that is why you should decide carefully and buy items that you will get to enjoy down the line. There's nothing wrong with trends but just like seasons, they're not here to stay.
- Consider the weight of your bridal jewelry. Grand and extraordinary-looking pieces tend to be bigger and heavier than most Indian bridal jewelry. While you may say that this is only a one-time affair, think about how uncomfortable it would be to carry all that weight plus your other accessories. A bride must look her best on her wedding day. She can't do that if she feels like she's carrying the whole world in her bridal attire.
- Buy jewelry that accentuates your features. One of the main objectives of wearing jewelry is to add beauty and enhance what is already beautiful. The Indian jewelry you wear on your wedding day should do exactly just that and not clash with your god-given features. Choose a jewelry set that fits your look, face shape, and skin tone.
- Add a bit of exotic and cultural flair with traditional Indian jewelry. While modern designs continue to impress and excite, traditional Indian jewelry will never lose its appeal and charm. Just imagine yourself wearing pieces that have significant value to you culturally and spiritually. Not to mention that traditional Indian jewelry has been worn by brides for hundreds of years due to their beauty and elegance. That in itself makes for a compelling argument why you should too.
Buy only from reputable and knowledgeable retailers. Your wedding is not an ordinary day where you get to dress up just for fun and it's not called a "special day" for nothing. It will be a day you'll look back to in the years to come so it's better that you only wear the best for that momentous occasion. Buy your jewelry from people who know what they do and offer only the best to their customers. Getting your money's worth is a matter of due diligence, trust, and refined taste.
Gold Palace can help you with all your jewelry needs and more. We have a wide range of collections for you to check out to make you the prettiest woman on your special day and we are proud to offer an eclectic assortment of South Asian jewelry. Choose from our curated collections of the finest 22k gold, gemstones, and VS1 diamonds to complete your dream bridal look.
Our commitment to quality, good service, and long history of making the right partnerships have made us one of the most trusted online jewelry stores in the world. If you want jewelry that you can pass on to the next generation or simply want to look your absolute best on your wedding day, Gold Palace will help you achieve that.
About Gold Palace
One of the World’s Oldest Online Jewelry Shops
Gold Palace was established in 1994 to offer customers all over the USA with the world’s finest jewelry. We carry extensive collections of 22k, 18k, 14k gold, silver, VS1 diamonds, and precious stone jewelry of unique and timeless designs. Our pieces are artisan-made for a personalized touch. Discover heirloom and fashionable pieces fit for any occasion. Create precious memories with our works of art.
The Complete Guide to Traditional Indian JewelryWearing jewelry is not just about making a fashion statement in Indian culture. It is deeply connected with their spiritual and cultural beliefs. Some pieces of jewelry are indispensable when it comes to ceremonies and rituals and Indian weddings are a good example of thisRead Full Article
Top Bollywood Jewelry Trends in 2022Bollywood always shines with its beautiful stars that flaunt the latest trends. We've come up with a list of Indian jewelry trends that we think will hit big this 2022 and some ways for you to create a look that rivals that of your favorite celebrities.Read Full Article
How to Choose Your Indian Bridal JewelryIndian weddings have to be one of the most elegant and lavish affairs in the world. It's only in an Indian wedding where you get to see the whole community celebrate along with the family of the bride and groom. Since jewelry is a status symbol and a sign of prosperity and good life for the newlyweds, the couple's Indian wedding jewelry should follow traditions as well as make an impression on the guests.Read Full Article